Thursday, 14 January 2010

I have an addiction!

At school on Tuesday when teaching my students I happened to ask one of them what she got for Christmas and she replied a designing kit saying she wanted to be a fashion designer. We got into a discussion about sewing and I asked if she had a sewing machine and she said no she hadn't. I mentioned I had one I might be able to give her that my son used to use when he was younger and that I would get it down from the loft to see if it still worked.

Well when hubby went into the loft there wasn't one, nor two but three sewing machines! Oh dear, I do seem to have a penchant for 'collecting'. Way back when I was home educating DS1 I bought him a sewing machine from a carboot.



A lovely crank handle Singer 99K like the one I learnt on.

He then progressed to an electric sewing machine, again one I picked up from a car boot sale.


This time a Toyota 421, complete with manual and accessories.
This is the one I had in mind to give to my student - it didn't work at first, but I worked on it and managed to get it going rather successfully.

I then remembered that my MIL had given me a little machine last year.

A little featherweight (here I have to question the name as it is most certainly not featherweight!) Singer.


Complete with a lovely basket case.

The the question is which one do I offer her. Most definitely not the crank handle Singer, that I do know. Do I give her the 'newer' machine, the little Singer, or do I become a complete sewing machine anorak and kept the Singer as part of my 'collection'?!

So my 20 minute crafting today has been experimenting with the stitches on these machines ;-)

Several people have asked me what I am going to make with my crochet circles. To be honest I'm not sure yet, all I know is I like them. They could be coasters, or I could turn them into either something to hang, or 'bunting'.

On another subject Helen over at CraftyHelen blogged today about her unfinished knitting projects. I mentioned that she most definitely wasn't alone and promised I'd find the post that I'd made some time ago about my unfinished knitting projects. I wrote it on 30th March last year and have copied it below! Have I finished any of these....um no!


(from 30th March 2009)

I also tackled my knitting/wool basket today. This has been hidden in our loft for the last few years and I asked my husband to retrieve it for me the other day.



I sorted through the wool and... Oh my goodness, do I really have all these unfinished projects?!





Looks like I am going to have plenty of things to keep me busy for the foreseable future!

Hence why it is very obvious I need to do the at least 20 minutes a day crafting challenge!

18 comments:

  1. Thanks - you've made me feel so much better! I'm thinking that I should take up the 20 minute crafting challenge too?!xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I started off with one of those old Singer sewing machines,belonging to my grandma. What a fine piece of machinery it was!! So beautiful!
    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just love the sewing machines. I was very brave a while ago, and gave my little collection of machines away on Freecycle. Just keeping my old trusty treadle Singer. I learned to sew with my Grandmother, using a treadle, and I am most at home there. So I use it for everything, its set up permanently in my sewing corner!
    Its so good to see you encouraging a younger person, so many have no idea how to sew or knit -Children are not taught even the basics at school as we were. How will these young people go on if they cant sew a button on?
    I would give her the easiest - most simple to use of the electric machines, then she might stick at it.

    Vicky x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well I thought I was the queen of unfinished projects but you have just taken my crown ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I have that same Singer hand cranked machine. Bought it last year on ebay to do 'relaxing craft work', rather than zooming along with my electric one. Haven't done any yet! I think you should give your student the middle one like you'd planned.
    The snow is melting here and I was able to get out to the charity shops for the first time today. Really enjoyed it. Thanks for visiting my blog. Nice to meet another Hertfordshire dweller. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. That just means you have plenty of variety in your 20 mins (or More) a day. And soon you will have some finishes. Love the old sewing machine. I dream of owning a treadle like the family heirloom that I learnt on.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm afraid I can't help with choosing a machine for your student (apart from obviously "not the crank handled"). I just wanted to say how much I admire you for your generosity and the fact that in doing so you will hopefully inspire that young lady to aim for the stars. I can't think of one teacher at my school that would have done that for me, or any of the other students for that matter.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wish I had a magic loft that revealed such treasures! I would give her the toyota and keep the Singers. Love the one in the cane basket. Definitely a keeper and I would have the sentimental attachement issue happening to make me want to keep that one.
    That young girl is very lucky you are so generous.
    cheers
    Marina

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'd love a machine like your Singer. They do look nice as a piece of furniture. I also have a bit of a collection of sewing machines. I have three, but as at least three of our girls are interested in sewing I'll hold on to them. Although after using my new machine they are going to find the older ones a little trying I fear!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes I have the Singer too, well I have two actually, but have'nt got the second one working yet. Did you know that you can email Singer with the code number on the plate and they can tell you exactly when it was made. I keep meaning to do it, but like your knitting projects, I haven't got around to it yet! lol

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your Singer is slimmer than mine, but otherwise they are pretty identical. I used to think that mine was an old one converted to electricity, but now I really look at it I am sure it was built as an alectirc one ' after all, it has a light (bulb still working) so it can't be that old, however wonderful it looks. I shall try to do what MarmaladeRose suggests about finding out its age.

    I think you're right to give the middle one - what a wonderful thing to do for your student! I teach a boy who tells me he wants to be 'the next Jean Paul Gautier' - do you think we should introduce them?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Did you know that there is a Singer website where you can find your machines 'birthday' from its serial number?
    I have an old Jones hand machine dating from the 1920's - it still works and in our first home I made all my curtains on it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. you sewingmachine geek you ! I've been meaning to check if mum gave me her singer & I put it in the loft ...but I was feeding the hens & saw that it was in the garden shed - OOPs.

    ReplyDelete
  14. How lovely of you to offer a machine to your student. I have my mum's Singer as she no longer wanted it. I don't use it, but can't bear to pass it on. They really are beautiful machines.
    As for unfinished projects, good grief, I could bore you rigid!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love my crank handle machine. It rarely gets used as I am not a sewer. When I was doing my design course I had to use an industrial thing and it frightened me to death...

    If she is new to sewing I would op for the easiest to use... great to see someone supporting a new talent :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Unfinished projects is my middle name! This year I will finish all of them (yeah, right) love your old singer with the crank handle. My machine broke down and I do miss it so. I have been crocheteding instead. Cheers...Pam

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi, we really are the same!!! :)

    Love Lou xxx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hello. Thank you for you kind comment on my blog! Wow, it's amazing what you can end up collecting over time! You've prompted me to delve into my cupboards now ;-)

    ReplyDelete