Monday, 13 June 2011

Housework Blues

Yes I am desperate! Now while I DO have some excuses for a messy untidy house...it hurts to clean and tidy, that is still no excuse and it is either me or nobody so in my latest quest for help I have turned to A Survival Guide Housework Blues . I'm only up to page 46 so far, so have just started reading the book really. But I have made a start on things. I am slowly going to work my way through one room at a time starting with the kitchen but allowing 'breaks' in between each little burst of activity. That way hopefully I won't hurt as much.

So today I have started a de-clutter, re-organisation and clean of the kitchen and the 'reward' (yes everyone has to have a carrot dangling at the end of a stick) is to hopefully be able to go and choose some paint to redecorate it as it is in dire need of a freshen up and perhaps a change of 'scene'. Funny reward you might say, but one I have been thinking about for ages.

DS1 wants to do a car-boot sale to raise funds for his trip to Swaziland and so I am going to provide him with lots of my clutter. Anything I haven't used, am not going to use, is going to go. Simple. Well hopefully.

I'm hoping that once I build a 'habit' of this cleaning and tidying as I go along, or as I see spills and messes made by other people that things won't become so overwhelmingly depressing, and that sinking feeling of not knowing where, when and how to start will be banished.

Apparently from what I have read is that it generally takes 30 days of constant activity to create a new habit, just as it takes 30 days of non-activity to break that same pattern. So lets see I can keep this new lark up for 30 days to see if it becomes a habit and thus easier to do!

My internet 'addiction' is going to be limited to my morning cup of tea, lunchtime break and then the evening when I can report on my progress, or post some of my pretty pictures.

Don't worry I will allow time for those pleasures such as sewing, crafting etc... :-) But I am going to try and use my time more pro-actively.

On another note: I had a fabulous Saturday meeting some ever so lovely bloggy friends thanks to Floss arranging a meet up. The only thing I forgot to do was to get contact & blog details, so come on girls if you are reading this can you please let me know your blog address. Thank you. Thank you Floss for arranging this I really had a wonderful time.

9 comments:

  1. Good luck, we have been trying to do this for 11 years: not managed it yet and we have no real excuses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was really lovely to meet you in reality, rather than the virtual sort, and I did enjoy the day - it was a real treat. I keep thinking that I ought to read that book - I need something to motivate me!

    Pomona x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck - let me know if you succeed! I find I only do proper housework when we have guests coming although I am quite good as de cluttering.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a great plan! I'll be willing you on to stay the 30 days!

    ReplyDelete
  5. 30 days of activity to create a habit - thats were I'm going wrong!! I am slowly getting there with getting more organised.

    Hoping to see pics from Saturday, I'd have loved to have been there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck with your new housework routine.... I know I just wouldn't be so disciplined..... such fun to meet up with other bloggers.... hope you 'find' them.....
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lucky you having such a great bloggy catch up.
    30 days you say to make a habit! Interesting.
    Hope your new routine settles in and you get your reward...
    Housework is hard when you are the only one in a household doing it- I know what that's like.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good luck with the declutter and forming of a new tidy habit! I have started a major sort out of my studio - all those bits of things I have kept to make something with have been given away, put in the recycle ..... and I gave a friend curtains fabric samples that I had in my stash for 20 years!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good on you girl, and rewards are very important. I'm right behind you.
    x Sandi

    ReplyDelete