This is going to be a 'warts and all' post. I'd always documented things like this on my private blog, but after reading various posts from Floss and Pomona and Sarah about our 'not so perfect lives' here goes.... you have been warned! Not so the messy house - due to my complete inability to do too much at once, I take it for granted that you are going to know that there are cobwebs up high and unironed clothes and carpets that could do with a jolly good hoover at times. So here goes...
Thank you all for your lovely get better soon wishes. I wish I could say I am better, but unfortunately not. The pain is as bad as ever and I will be going to bed as soon as I have written this.
So a very brief outline... On 17th December last year I had major surgery to remove part of my rib to decompress an artery and nerve. I was getting lots of pain, pins and needles and loss of strength in my right arm. In part this operation was successful, however, my body doesn't seem to believe it - either that or it didn't relieve it entirely! I had a car accident in 2005 where someone rammed up the back of us and from then on I had problems. Something called Thoracic Outlet Syndrome. Oh great a syndrome! It took until 2008 to get a proper diagnosis though.
Anyway I went to the doctor today and he thinks that I am suffering from highly reactive inflammed nerve pain especially as it is predominantly one sided - the side of the operation. So he has put me on some very strong medication - not a painkiller, but a medication for neuropathic pain. Of course it may interact with the medication I'm currently on so we have to start off with a low dose. I really hope not. I also so hope it works as I am getting really fed up with not being able to do things without some form of pain and at the moment things are virtually impossible! Good thing I am on anti-depressants otherwise I'd be a right state! At least my mood swings (due to constant pain) have stabilized so that is one thing. :-)
Anyway, despite the pain I decided to go to probably my last cavy show of the year yesterday. I am getting fed up with not being able to do the things I want to do so went. Of course I suffered by the time I got home and had a rather early night, although was able to read lying down.
I never win anything - that is until recently when I have won a couple of giveaways and yesterday I won a prize in the raffle. Would you like to see what highly sensible prize I picked? You would? Well it was handcrafted of course! The only thing that was!
Being blue he was a must have - just needs a name now. I think people were surprised I picked him and made several 'funny' comments, but I love him and appreciate the time and effort that went into making him. He now sits on top of my shelf above my desk.Last week I had several good finds at charity shops.
It has loads of compartments and zip pockets in it and feels wonderfully soft.
As a child lots of my friends had a Russian Doll and I always wanted one - sad I know! So when I saw this lady, I just had to have her.








Fingers crossed that the new medication will help ease your pain Lorraine ... try not to overdo things and try not to worry about not doing things if that makes sense :-)
ReplyDeleteOh poor you. How jolly frustrating to want to do so much but you are unable to. Hope those pills work really well.
ReplyDeleteI love your prize! I also love those Russian dolls. I always wanted some too and still don't have a set. I would love an authentic set one day. Oh well dreams are free aren't they?
Hope you have a better week. Don't blog if you aren't up to it. Would hate you to suffer unnecessarily.
It must be very painful and your surgery sounds as though it was pretty grim. I hope you get your medication dosage sorted and feel better soon X
ReplyDeletePoor you.
ReplyDeleteI do hope that, in time, your pain eases.
Big hugs from me ;-)
Lots of goodness here, particularly love your raffle prize. He looks like good company!
ReplyDeleteThe ladies are beautiful. Hope your pain is easing. Enjoy your goodies.
Oh, we have been thinking of you! Thanks for letting us know how you're getting on, and more about what's caused your pain. You poor thing - and yet you're still showing your little friends! I am impressed. Like the new many-legged friend too...
ReplyDeleteI'll keep you in my thoughts.
I really sympathize with you regarding your chronic pain - has your doctor suggested CBT to help with pain management? I found that it really helped - might be worth a try. Nerve pain is very difficult to deal with - I hope your new medication helps. I had a Russian doll just like that when I was a child, but sadly I threw it away in a fit of clearing out in my early twenties, and I have regretted it ever since!
ReplyDeleteLook after yourself anyway, and I hope things pick up for you soon.
Pomona x
How awful - life can really take a blow when your not 100%. I do hope you feel better soon and the medication does the trick.
ReplyDeletetake care,
Ninaxxxx
Sorry to hear that you are in so much pain. Have you tried alternative medicine to help you cope with the pain? The reiki class I'm doing would be benificial to you as it helps you to relax those muscles and its surprising how much pain goes when you manage to relax.
ReplyDeleteBTW my Dh was hit by a car and is also in lots of pain so I know where you are coming from with this. Sometimes he doesn't know what to do with himself hes that bad.
Oh, like your Russian doll set. My brother brought me one back from Russia many years ago which I still have.
How I feel for you with all that to cope with. I can only hope it will get better with time. You deserve a break. Love Pam
ReplyDelete