Wednesday, 11 April 2012

Pain Specialist Appointment

This is as much for my information and records as for anything else as I guess in a way this is my 'diary' as I don't really keep a paper form, nor a journal despite the intention at times.

I saw the Pain Specialist in London yesterday. The pain in my right side when it is bad has spread somewhat a goes up the side of my face to my ear as well as down the right side of my body to my ribs and of course including the arm.  I told him about this and the fact that the Lidocaine Infusion appeared not to have helped at all, and nor were the Duloxetine doing a lot, apart from giving me frequent headaches.  My GP had wanted me to ask him about increasing the dose.  I was quite impressed the first time I saw him and also when I had my first infusion as he really seemed to listen a lot.  He still listened to me but seemed more concerned at first about the Chiari this time and was asking when I was next seeing the Neurologist, did I have any follow up appointments etc... I feel now that every time I have a problem it is going to be put down to the Chiari Malformation instead of as a result of this *** Thoracic Outlet Syndrome Decompression Surgery I had over three years ago, from which I have had pain from ever since!  In the end he did agree it was the same problem and I wasn't getting any other symptoms from the CM...and has booked me in for another Lidocaine Infusion next Wednesday.  We are going to leave the Duloxetine as is at the moment so no other variables have changed to see if the Lidocaine helps this time.  I sure hope it does.  When the pain is just at the usual level I feel I can cope and then it flares up like it did at the end of last week and I know that something needs to be done.  

I still think about my music and how hard I worked to get my Honours Degree and Masters and how I only really got to fully use them for about a year after completion before I had the operation and now am unable to play and haven't done for some time now.  I miss it, and still think I should just try and forget about how I ever did play now.  I had had thoughts about joining the local choir to get my 'fix' of music, but am not sure I really have the confidence to try singing.  I'm not really convinced I will be able to, after all that is why I played a wind instrument after all!  How does one really give up something that they spent some many years doing?  I have played since I was 7 years old.  Perhaps a final break from hanging on by the thread would be good.  Forget that I ever was a musician and music teacher.

Anyway I am going to try going back on to my Raw Foods diet to see if that will help get rid of the headaches even though I am still on medication.  It is worth a try that is for sure.  

In the meantime I will get on with things and forget feeling sorry for myself.  Yesterday was just a bit of shock to me that is all as I wasn't expecting him to talk so much about the Chiari and the worry of getting Syringomyelia and it does feel as if I am walking round with a time bomb inside of me waiting to go off.

6 comments:

  1. I am so sorry you can't get your pain under some control. I understand completely as I battle pain all the time and it is very debilitating. Chin up , my lovely friend. I'll be thinking of you. Big hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, to start off on a tanget, I was thinking about you and choirs just last week! I can't remember why it was on my mind but I found myself wondering if you were doing yourself down when you said you couldn't sing! My mum never had a solo voice but was an absolute solid rock for a group of altos because she could read music well and was confident in holding her part. I bet that with your musical ability you could do that too! I'd love to think of you having fun with music in a relaxed choir. You might even get me going back to our local choir too... I probably should!

    And I am glad to hear that the specialist didn't seem to get too far stuck on the wrong issue. I'm still praying that you get relief from this pain.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I do so wish we could wave a wand and help you to take away the pain. My mum's best friend had Myalgia in her face.
    for what it is worth I think giving the choir a go sounds a wonderful idea. I can't sing well, but I do enjoy the emotional release and pleasure of singing with others.

    You need a fun one with a sense of humour, that sings for enjoyment and the fellowship it gives.

    Thinking of you.
    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gosh Lorraine, you are not having the best time with all this. I really hope that you can get some relief soon.
    xx Sandi
    PS love your garden flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do hope the infusion works for you, it is really miserable to be in pain all the while. Raw food is supposed to be really good for you, if it cures the headaches as well then a real benefit.

    Having invested so much of your life in music you are obviously talented and as it gives you great pleasure then do give a choir a try. There are so many types of choir hopefully you will find one that suits you.

    Sue x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for taking the time to discuss this, I feel strongly about it and love learning more on this topic. If possible, as you gain expertise, would you mind updating your blog with more information? It is extremely helpful for me



    Carl Balog MD

    ReplyDelete