I am joining in Floss and others in A Pause for Advent. The Pause is for us to have a chance to share our thoughts, family traditions, preparations, ideas, crafts and experiences during Advent. To quote Floss we can "Post about ANYTHING on your mind this Advent – traditions, family, craft, questions, hopes, experiences, faith …"After reading Floss's post post today I feel rather inadequate. Today has been a day of brain fog, tiredness, and feeling rather tetchy. I'd hoped to write something very inspirational, but it just isn't there for me today.
In the past Advent has very much meant the lead up to Christmas to me and my family. As a child it was a time of anticipation, and many happy memories of Christmas in NZ with my Mum, Dad and sister. Going to cut a tree with my Dad is one of my very fond memories.
Since being in the UK traditions have changed and in many ways it has felt more appropriate to celebrate with the dark and cold winter nights and the Christmas lights and decorations that start to adorn the houses, shops and streets. For a number of years we enjoyed being involved with our local church and all the traditions this entails - certainly makes it all more meaningful and special. Sadly this came to an end a number of years ago, and although we have tried to find another where we feel comfortable, it just hasn't happened.
Some 'traditions' have remained, which I will share over the course of the next three Sundays. Others have changed and of late I had come to dread Christmas and the stress it involved due to one thing and another. This year I am determined things will be different. We will take time to relax and not stress, to enjoy our family and what it means to us.
This first week of advent usually involves planning for the Christmas concert I hold for my students to perform for their parents. Other planning and lists will also entail in the hope that things will be prepared with less stress. I'm also very tempted to find some stones and sand tomorrow to make a jar like Floss made today to remind myself of what is important.

Using an advent candle that my husband found at his fathers house during one of the sorting episodes, we lit it during dinner this evening. This candle will be lit each Sunday of Advent.
While having dinner I asked each of the family what Advent meant to them.
DS2 gave his usual extensive explanation of what Advent meant and he was spot on. Then he gave his version of Advent which was:
1. To aim to be nice to everyone in his class and not to get cross with them if they did something to annoy him.
2. To pester about pressies (his words)
3. His favourite Christmas memory was when he and his brother got up very very early one Christmas to take a sneak preview at what was in their Christmas stockings!
DS1, being the strong silent and moody type was not so keen to participate and said 'chocolate'. That's right, just the one word.
Hubby said it was a time of anticipation, hope, love and family.
My lovely husband bought me two bunches of roses today, this bunch and a yellow bunch - Hmmm I wonder if this could be a new tradition for each Sunday in Advent?Advent also means something else very special to me and that is the celebration of my marriage to my husband. I will share more of that on our anniversary - 21st December.

I hope Advent brings you lots of joy (and chocolate as well!) - what a lovely time of year to have an anniversary!
ReplyDeletePomona x
Just reading you throuh the Pause for Advent links- our anniversary is 22nd December- can't wait to read your posts!
ReplyDeleteHappy, happy, happy, happy Anniversary!!
ReplyDeleteYou deserve it, x
It is so ironic that I can make anyone feel inadequate, Seranata! Only in the virtual world, I assure you... Come and check out the state of my housekeeping at the moment and you would feel truly superior.
ReplyDeleteWell, I loved what you and your family have shared about Advent, not least that is includes your wedding anniversary. Did you get married in the UK or in NZ? (i.e. was it a summer wedding or a winter wedding?)
PS Just saw your comment on Nina's blog and I'm sure I saw a 'last minute advent calendar-make' somewhere - I will try to track it down for you!
ReplyDeleteCongrats! And how sweet of your husband! I love the flower idea for each Sunday in Advent! :)
ReplyDelete