Wednesday, 1 September 2010

Turning Over a New Leaf

I am enjoying my daily readings from A Simple Abundance and today's is titled 'Turning Over a New Leaf' and is about how the seasons change and the way we can embrace them. September can be seen as the beginning of a new year, 'a time for reflection and resolution' and it seems very timely that these are the things I have been thinking of for the past couple of weeks or so since I have been getting up early.

As I sit here this morning feeling uncomfortable and fed up with my constant companion Mr Pain and Discomfort' (MPD) it is time to listen to what the head has been saying.

I phoned my dear friend who covered for my teaching when I had my operation and also when I was in NZ and asked her if she would like another school to teach at. She being the thoughtful and wise person she is has said she will cover for me 'indefinitely' until I am ready to go back to teaching so that I don't have to completely give up the school and job I love. What a perfect solution. I of course have to clear it with the school, but hopefully they will be agreeable as she is a known entity and they have been happy in the past with the temporary arrangements.

Of course my private teaching is a bit more difficult and I am not looking forward to talking to the parents of my students to explain that I will be giving up. But how I am feeling this morning, both physically and mentally confirms that this is the right thing to do, albeit it a very hard decision.

I'm also going to phone the doctors surgery this morning to make the appointment for the blood tests which I have been putting off and also another appointment to discuss the dosage of drugs I am on...because if anything the pain has been getting worse since being on them.

My crafting mojo seems to have disappeared at the moment hence the lack of crafting posts. It seems to have gone awol and I am hoping to find it soon as I have some swaps I need to get a move on with! I'm guessing my constant companion MPD isn't helping...although I did feel inspired to paint the kitchen yesterday...not that I did...but I did go as far as getting DS1 to take me to Homebase to get some paint samples. Of course whether this is possible is another thing unless I can paint left handed!

Anyway how is my garden growing?

I have to confess to neglecting it a bit lately...but there is still growth...the tomato plants are full of tomatoes that are slowly, oh so slowly ripening. We have had a couple of green peppers with our salads and they have been very tasty. The cucumber plant has several cucumbers growing. (Funny that!) We have also had a some courgettes, although not as many as I had expected.

So looking at September and the approaching Autumn and then Winter in a more positive light, probably helped by the gorgeous days we have been having for the last week I am hoping that the changes I make will be beneficial ones. I am of course hoping for NO MORE PAIN but hey that might be a difficult one.

I am not alone in this decision and contemplation process in this house...DS1 has some very important decisions to make about his future as well and he is finding it very difficult. Only he can make these decisions and I hope that he gives each option plenty of wise thought and makes the best one for him.


As I sit here typing this the sun is shining through the trees, reflecting the lovely greens against the backdrop of the gorgeous blue sky, the birds busy on the feeing stations, I think how perfect nature is, and how simply beautiful and amazing as well.

Gosh all this 'quiet contemplation' is making me sound slightly weird!



But how can you deny the wonders?

So without any more ramblings from a Weird Woman, I wish you all a very happy September and would be interested to hear whether any of you view it as a new beginning, a time of resolutions or the turning over of a new leaf?

12 comments:

  1. Not weird at all Seranata! I think your suggestion of September being a time for new beginnings is so true - I have always thought it so. Your photos are as always excellent - might there be a route there that you might follow perhaps? Good luck with your new leaf!"

    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally feel this - the weather cooling is better for me ( oh remember how hot it was when we met in London ? ) I do see September as a fresh start more than ever this summer as I haven't been well but feeling better & brighter now.
    I'm so sorry that you are still in pain & having to make changes in your life.

    Perhaps we should do that outing we talked about in September ? xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so Not Weird, Serenata! (Except in a good way, perhaps - how boring it would be to be 'ordinary', whatever that is...)

    I think that your solution to the school problem is just perfect, and I'll be praying for you as you have to speak to the parents of the individual pupils - I agree it will be hard but it will be a relief once done. Can you give them the name of anyone else they might try? I guess that would sugar the pill for them.

    I didn't read your Simple Abundance comments too much, because I read it at night and don't want to pre-empt today's reading! However, I get what you mean about September and new resolutions - you might remember that the French Rentrée is all about that. More on that in my next week's posts, I think.

    Thanks for your beautiful pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the photograph of the collared doves (?) xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Certainly the change of any season brings time of contemplation for me - as we now head into spring it is a perfect time for me to turn over a new leaf and find some direction after drifting along for the past year.

    So glad you have been able to make some decisions which will help you to focus on eradicating your constant pain.

    Enjoy the sounds and sights of nature and the optimism they bring daily.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello!
    Just whizzing by to let you know that you've won my Giveaway for the Ruby Campervan cards :-)
    Pop over to mine where you'll find the email address.
    I see you've written a thought provoking post here - I'm in a dash - but will be back very soon to read it properly!!
    Denise x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi hunny
    i am sorry to hear you are having a tough time...I really can relate to you my lovely. Pain is one of the worst things to cope with everyday. Take time to enjoy 'sitting n staring' at the beautiful things for a while....
    ((Hugs))
    Karen x x x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope that you get some relief soon, it must be exhausting dealing with this all of the time. I think you find that the decision to stop teaching for now although difficult will be a huge weight off your shoulders. Never say never, just keep your options open. Don't worry about your crafting mojo it will come and I am more thatn happy to see your birdies.
    A delicate hug is sent your way x
    Kandi x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm sorry to hear your pain hasn't gotten better but pleased you have decided to drop your teaching for now. I think you need to put yourself first.
    Thank you for putting up pictures of your Sindys - it was great to see them and don't leave them packed away any more! If you get time pop over to the sindy forum and say hello.
    Love your titian haired sindy and of course the sad face. I bought a '74 recently but mine isn't any where near as nice as yours - she is naked, handless and bald!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think you will feel much better about things when your teaching thing is sorted out. You need to unload your pressures like you are doing. I do hope your pain improves soon, it must drive you crazy.

    Love your photo of the birds on the ladder. You have so many birds come to visit you now. They must sound so pretty at dawn.

    ReplyDelete
  11. September heralds Spring for us here so it is a time of change. An uplifting change with the promise of better weather, more spring rains and new things growing and sprouting in the garden.
    You seem to be more resolved and the decisions are being made that you need to make.
    Shame we just can't tell MPD to nick off and find a new home!
    Hope you can still find that comfort around you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Not weird, unique :) Do go and have your blood tests and find some answers. A new beginning - yes and a new way to find a way around your pain so you can manage it and become pain free. Your private students will be sad not to have you as their teacher, but will want you to get better. There is always a way around things and one has been resolved with your friend taking over your teaching job....and so it will keep happening for you.
    Hugs Sandi xxx

    ReplyDelete