
A piece of NZ found in the local charity shop for £1.99! Perfect condition, looks great on my wall.
Housework.
I am a housewife.
I feel a fraud saying that.
I am completely naff at keeping house.
Well certainly at housework.
I have all the excuses.
Too tired.
It hurts.
No motivation.
Don't know where to put things.
Where to start.
Too much STUFF!
I have read all manner of self-help books on the subject including some downloadables.
I am still hopeless at it.
I am trying to work on changing this attitude.
But it is jolly hard.
Especially as my back is now aching at the attempts I made today.
Which have only just made a 1% dent in things.
I've even had the tears of inability to cope today.
(A very obvious sign of me not being on 'happy' or shall I say 'laid back, whatever' pills).
However, the say Rome wasn't built in a day.
Certainly tidying (AND KEEPING TIDY) this house wasn't either ;-)
So one corner has been achieved today.
Never mind the rest of the house.
Why is it, I end up with more mess than when I started?
At least that is the way it feels!
Our living room table has been driving me mad for weeks (if not months) I have got bruises on my legs from where I keep bumping into the corners. The room is very narrow and the end the dining table is in also cuts in even further where the door is. The dining table is where I sit and work on the computer. Tee hee, I like that. What I should have said, it is where I waste considerable time on the computer! It was beginning to look like a pile of.... and I couldn't find anything. Frustrating, yes!
So I decided to do something about it.
Before photos?
Not on your life!
After? Well here you go:

The dolls house was jammed in the corner before and I couldn't really access it. So I've extended the table, pushed it against the wall, put a pretty (yes I did iron it) tablecloth on the table and moved the dolls house on to the table. This way I might actually start making some things for the rooms. Of course it seemed natural then that my Sasha's should get a look in on the act.

Much better, clear tidy, and more space to walk past without injuring myself.
I even wiped down the radiator and window sill.
Now all this should probably have only taken an hour at the most, but probably took me most of the afternoon, what with procrastinating, feeling completely hopeless and disheartened, skivvying off to bed for about 20 minutes until finally some inspiration came. I had no idea when I started what I was going to do with this corner, just knew that something had to be done. Even hubby approves.
Good thing we don't actually use the table to dine from...instead we all huddle round a little table in the kitchen.
Guests? Well until I get the house straightened, I'd be far too embarrassed to entertain anyway!

Oh forgot to say the flowers are Kowhai, I just love these and their gorgeous yellow colour.
This morning a lovely little package arrived for me from Australia.

My July hexie flowers and a gorgeous doilie.
Thank you Debra I love them!
Still waiting on my June flowers...funny thing is they are only travelling from within the same country!
You have expressed my thoughts completely about housework. I share exactly the same feelings. But it is hard when you have a chronic illness. At least you aren't alone in these feelings.
ReplyDeleteThe Kowhai is lovely.... great find..... I find having to sort 'stuff' makes more mess!! at least you have made a dent in it... small steps are still steps...
ReplyDeleteHugz
Well, I think you need to know that housework (especially ironing) is hugely over-rated! I have to admit though, that tidying up a bit makes for a clearer head. Don't beat yourself up about it. Just tidy for 10 minutes and leave it at that (but usually I find I do a tad more!)
ReplyDeleteI'm intrigued by the photos and pictures on the wall above the dining table - can you tell us more?
I can't believe you've had post already this morning!
As for your tears of inability, please focus on your abilities which are many and varied!
I likey the new look. I have the same issues. Housework always seems like...well a chore. Only my excuse is a very energetic 4year old. I read a tip from a blog a wee while ago. The tip was to use the commercial break on TV programmes to do a bit of tidying. Three minutes here and there soon add up. A lot can be achieved in three minutes and you get rewarded at the end of it with TV. Been trying to stick to this and when I do it seems to work.
ReplyDeleteMadison xxx
Ha, I could have written this post! I know exactly how you feel - have read the books etc, but I still can't keep the place tidy and I don't even have health problems to contend with. That said, I did clean part of the kitchen yesterday and it looks so much better.
ReplyDeleteCould you get hubby to help out sometimes? Maybe we should form a 'Hopeless Housewives Anonymous' group!
You're very hard on yourself, Lorraine! You have such a lot to cope with that I really think you can give yourself a break. I hope you aren't hurting too much from all that rearranging.
ReplyDeletePretty Kowhai flowers, they must be a sweet reminder of NZ.
Take it easy today,
xx
"Life is too short for dusting" the wise words of my gran. I fight a losing battle over the moving tide of Children's toys, husbands junk and my art materials.
ReplyDeleteThese days things tend to get swept into boxes and piled somewhere. One sweep of the arm = clear table, floor etc.
Hope you are feeling better after some rest and that the diet is continuing to help.
Sweetie, I had to look twice to make sure that I hadn't written this post on your blog by mistake ;-)
ReplyDeleteI understand just how you feel and if you were to see my house, I am sure you would feel a whole lot better about your's! I seem to take one step forward and two steps back a lot of the time but I am slowly making inroads. It's taking a long time because I am so mindful of my back problems but just taking little baby steps is the way to go :-)
I hate housework - I avoid doing it on a regular basis - I'm a OMG this mess needs blitzing sort of person.
ReplyDelete