Just before Christmas the lovely Mary Poppins sent me a surprise gift in the post - these lovely red checked tea towels. I had hoped to make something Christmassy with them, but never got round to it. Well looking at them yesterday got me thinking...


This goes nicely...
How about making an Apron?
Very simply made, but will do the trick perfectly. Hmmm....should I put a pocket on? I've used two tea towels to make this and have virtually no wastage, not enough to make a pocket, so do I use a different fabric, or cut into another tea towel? That is the question.Due to apathy this morning I made myself go out this afternoon - it was either that or stay in bed! Of course going out is always a dangerous thing especially when you find a wool shop!
Some lovely wool and some bamboo knitting needles as recommended by Pomona
I also picked up a few items in CS that were in abundance in the little town I went to. I've got some reading matter for the plane, some Sebastian Faulks, Miss Read and some other various books, all 50p each so that will keep me busy on the 24 hour plane journey in just over two weeks time!

I ended up with two of these though so if anyone would like it please let me know and I will pop it into the post for you.
Love the apron the way it is and so clever to use the tea towels. Great wool and knitting needles too. Have fun on the trip and enjoy your books. Hugs, Marty
ReplyDeleteWhat a great apron idea - I have lovely blue and white ;) ribbon from Michela and could do something similar. Personally, I think you'll manage without a pocket, but I could be wrong...
ReplyDeleteThanks for all your kind words today.
Brilliant idea with the tea towels! Thanks for letting me know about the Parapenting, it looks exciting and scary!
ReplyDeleteOh my goodness 24 hours on a plane! That's a long time!
Have a wonderful weekend!
Rachel x
The apron looks great - love that piece of braid. If you need a pocket - how about a plain colour?
ReplyDeleteClever you, the apron is gorgeous :) I think a lovely pocket in a contrasting fabric would be kind of cute. Though I do like my pockets, always handy for popping things in.
ReplyDeleteThe wool is lovely, and thank you for your special comments, meant alot :)
X
The apron looks good - if it was me I'd have to have a pocket as I use mine to cart all sorts of stuff around the house.
ReplyDeleteWhen I need to buy more wool I shall be getting some of the crofter as I love how it knits up.
Glad the retail therapy helped :)
I love Miss Read and don't have that story, but I live too far away for You to post to.
ReplyDeleteLove the Apron idea! very pretty :o)
Have a Lovely weekend xxx
Sumea
Awesome apron! Well Done You! I love Miss Read. I am starting one of her series and cannot think of the name now! But I cannot wait to read them all!!
ReplyDeleteEnjoy!
Hugs, Lisa
I never use pockets on my apron so wouldn't bother. But if you need one perhaps you could use a doily and back it if necessary. Would look pretty and quite fitting with your made do attitude. Love that braid by the way and the tea towels are OK too. No seriously they are awesome in red gingham!!
ReplyDeleteWhat a great way to use the tea towels and I love the pattern on the belt. xx
ReplyDeleteTo pocket or not to pocket ? I'd say yes put one !
ReplyDeleteI picked up a bit of lace & an old cash tin in a reclamation yard in the village today. I want to use the tin as a honesty box for egg money as I'm going to start selling my eggs at the gate.
The man in the yard said, " where is The Gate?" ... er, at the end of my drive I said.
He thought The Gate was a shop ! we both thought it would make a good name - a good Blog name too !!!
I would put a heartshaped pocket on, i think!
ReplyDeleteCrofter wool is lovely - such fun to see the fairisle effect emerge. I made wristwarmers.