Saturday, 16 May 2009

How do you all...?

How do you all get the things done, or do the things you want to do in a day, week, month etc…?

How do I achieve all these things I want to achieve without living in constant clutter and mess. Okay maybe a crafty mess, but still a mess. I feel so overwhelmed by things at times.

I have so many things I want to do and achieve yet I seem to struggle with the mundane stuff of every day, so how do I set about achieving some of my dreams and inspirations. How do I develop the energy I need to do these things?

I have the books....


But do they really tell me how to deal with this?


I mean where do I put all my crafty stuff, without having a spare room, or even a separate dining room to put it?

Oh sure I guess I could just not do it - I'm sure that is the recommended solution - 'Cut the Clutter' - toss it, get rid of it..... But surely although perhaps life would be less stressful at times and tidy, it would be well downright boring - Surely?

This is our lounge - before the crafty stuff.


Yup, long and narrow. I have 'my corner' up one end by the patio doors which we don't open at the moment due to not having a patio - a work currently been waiting to be done for um... three years now I believe.


The other end is our dining table, which now has my sewing machines on it and as you can see from one of the photos above, now my crafty clutter is sitting in front of the brick work.

I just don't know how to make this space more workable and less untidy looking. Admittedly it would be improved if I hadn't recently rummaged through the baskets for something, but I already have three baskets and they are overflowing.

Heaving a big sigh. Well at least I did achieve some things today. I've vacummed two thirds of this room getting distracted along the way.

I changed the tablecloth and arrangement on my little table from this above

To this.

And then I thought.... I really must recover this footstool... another distraction!
The material was the kind that makes your skin crawl - sort of nylony (probably not a word, but I'm sure you'll know what I mean) and catchy.


Ah, that is better. Much prettier. For anyone that is wondering, no I'm not going to paint it - I didn't want to have to spend any money on this footstool as it is not the best quality and I don't have any suitable paint. A quick recover though with material I already have smartens it up nicely and it will do me a turn.


Inspired by such beautiful books as English Country Diary, Keeping a Nature Journal and other such delightful books I want to be able to keep a nature journey.








Cow Parsley - something that is in abundance along the roads at the moment.

The detail is just beautiful - look at this picture below.

Oh to be able to draw like this!


Certain things seem to be a requirement for this activity though and one that I think is probably rather important - the ability to draw! Yes I know I probably shouldn't let this 'minor' detail get in my way, after all, it doesn't have to be a work of art (yes it does!) it is rather a journal/record of nature. Perhaps an alternative would be to take photographs, but then they would need printing out, ordering etc... Why am I making excuses? Why do I put these obstacles in my way?

Yes, I know it shouldn’t take much effort, but I don’t know sometimes it just does. It is just not quite the same walking through the fields with the horrendous roar of the M25 - certainly not to a girl who was brought up in the country miles away from any major roads.

I have so many projects that I want to start, and also those I want to complete. My mind is full of things I want to do, from being a good Mum (I'm sure I fail drastically on this front), being a good housewife, being able to do my crafts, to working at being able to play my clarinet properly again (not a good place at the moment). Anyway...

Current Works in Progress
, more commonly known in blogland as WIP's.

Crochet Granny Squares blanket x 2 - yup I have two in progress!

Another crochet bag courtesy of Lucy's pattern from Attic 24 (see sidebar)

A set of place mats - had to get some more bias binding today.

Projects I want to start
...

Garden Picnic table – paint blue ‘Barleywood’ from Cuprinol Garden Shades series.

Garden chair - stain the wood.

Conservatory/Garage - where do I start - major overhaul needed in anticipation of new hutch blocks for the piggies.

Try and motivate hubby to get our windows replaced, bathroom & bedroom decorated - only been working on this one since 1999!

Oh and lots more ideas for crafts, sewing, crocheting and knitting!

Phew, I’m worn out just thinking of all the things I want to do.

Still I'm closer to at least getting the picnic table and chair done (just need some good weather!) as we now have the paint/stain having popped over to Homebase this afternoon. Which actually turned out to be a good thing as I managed to convince hubby to take me over to 'Fashion & Fabrics' to get a new crochet hook to replace the one I lost in London the other week, and came out with....well... rather more than a crochet hook!

The needed bias binding, some more wadding/batting, fabrics and a new toy!


I've wanted one of these for many many years - I have the cutting mat, just never had the cutter! Looking foward to playing with this - might just have to get cracking with feeding the piggies their evening meal so I can have a play while Peanut (our younger son) is over at his Nan's watching the Eurovision Song Contest on TV (we don't have one). I gave my MIL one of the bags I made - she was really thrilled with it, which has made me feel really happy as she is such a lovely person, and hasn't been very well lately. So hopefully I've brightened her evening.

1 comment:

  1. My Grandma used to say, 'the only way to eat an elephant is with very small bites'.
    Admittedly she was quite potty (in the very nicest English way)but I still think it's a rather clever way to view life's clutter. She talked about chocolate teapots a lot too, but that's another story...

    ReplyDelete