Friday, 30 April 2010

My Pony - NZ part three

I'm feeling rather like this today...think DS2 gave me his dreaded lurgy/cough.

However enough of the sulks, and back to my NZ visit - yes, still got lots of pictures to show you all.

While in NZ I visited a friend of mine I used to work with oh some.... years ago. We worked in Orewa for NZI Insurance.

Here we are in Whangarei - we had a lovely tea and cake and walk along the wharf to see all the boats.

When I left NZ I asked R if she would be willing to take on the care of my horse. I got him when I was 11 years old. I can still remember sitting on the school bus that morning, ever so excited as I knew we were going to collect him after school. It was also the first time I'd ever heard the Mozart Clarinet Concerto and still have the record the Dr's who sold me my lovely pony gave me. I kept extensive records as a child/teenage of every show and even we entered, whether it was enjoyable and how well we did. I also had one of his first teeth that he lost! This 'diary' and all the ribbons he won were stored in a box, but sadly it went missing during one of my moves as an adult. Well actually I think someone just chucked it, but we won't worry too much about that!

So of course I couldn't not see my darling horse that R is looking after so well. I suppose he is her horse now really, but in my mind he is still mine and he still remembers a trick I taught him all those years ago, and will only do for me! Very good for my ego, I can tell you.

Hello my lovely!


Is there food coming?

Not bad for a 38 years old pony is he?

We took part in four Mercer Cups with two different Pony Clubs. He also won Champion Hack Hunter (Show jumping class) at the mere size of 13.2 hands high. Certainly put paid to all those who sneered me because I would get a bigger horse! One Day Events were his forte, especially when it came to cross country and show jumping.


A lovely evening meal of special pony nuts and some fruit and veges. R certainly looks after him well and I am extremely grateful as I miss him sooo much.

Off he wanders....


I worry about him every winter. In an ideal world R would like to build him a small stable for the cold wet months, but this isn't really possible. I wish I could arrange for this to be done.


7 comments:

  1. He is a very handsome fella and it must have been so hard for you to see him again and then leave him again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mozart's Clarinet Concerto - bliss!

    Your story of your horse made me think of my English friend, who lives in NZ. She's a vet and emigrated a few years ago, and then had her horse shipped over.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi - sorry to hear you have the lurgy - I think it's doing the rounds, I woke up with a sore throat this morning...

    Your horse is gorgeous, I really can't believe he is 38 - he looks so good.
    It must of been so hard to leave him, but he is obviously well looked after.
    Do you ride now?

    I'll send you an email re meeting up - looking forward to it!

    Get well soon and I'm wishing you a lovely weekend -

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I knew I'd put off posting his pictures was for a reason. I just feel like sobbing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That must be hard, to have him so far away. But he's gorgeous, and well kept - he's in incredible condition for 38. The horse we shared (just for a little while) until rather recently is about the same age, and enjoying his retirement. It's lovely that some horses aren't abandoned once they get older - it happens to too many.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely horse. I dreamed of having a horse when I was a young girly and I used to read lots of horsy novels, dreaming. Sounds like you have lovely memories of time spent with him and it is wonderful that he is being so well looked after.
    Don't spread those germs over the internet! lol
    Hope you recover quickly. Some Nutella may help?

    ReplyDelete
  7. He is lovely it must have been happy & sad to see him again. Hope you are feeling better son xx yes Nutella ? oops - none left !

    ReplyDelete