Tuesday, 6 October 2009

Autumn has arrived!

Setting off to work at 7.30 am this morning truely felt like an Autumn Day. In sharp contrast to the weekend when the sky was blue and the sun shining, today it was pouring with rain, a sudden reminder that Winter really is on its way! Having been spoilt by the glorious September I almost got lulled into the feeling it would last... By mid-day though the rain had stopped and we were able to go for a walk with the dogs and note the changes going on around us. Conkers are ripening and being collected by children and grownups alike. Acorns are adorning the oak trees as the leaves are changing colour and falling to the ground. There was also a freshness to the air. Certainly the ground could do with some water.

Colour

The world is full of colour!
'Tis Autumn once again
And leaves of gold and crimson
Are lying in the lane.
There are brown and yellow acorns,
Berries and scarlet haws,
Amber gorse and heather
Purple across the moors!
Green apples in the orchard,
Flushed by a glowing sun;
Mellow pears and brambles
Where coloured pheasants run!
Yellow, blue and orange,
Russet, rose and red -
A gaily-coloured pageant -
An Autumn flower bed.
Beauty of light and shadow,
Glory of wheat and rye
Colour of shining water,
Under a sunset sky!

Adeline White from The Book of a Thousand Poems - For the Young and the Very Young.

This afternoon was spent finishing a couple of bags started yesterday.


Again made from vintage fabrics these bags are fun to make, combining the right combination of linings to set the colours off.

Just before I came home from work I had to pop to the bank, naturally passing some charity shops. Of course I had to have a browse - bearing in mind my challenge! So I was rather intrigued by this little rose package for 49p - curiosity got the better of me....

What do you think is in here?


Pencils!
Twelve of them in fact!

Brand new - Well for 49p I thought that suited my stationery needs very well - I always need pencils when teaching to mark up the music so these will be perfect. I felt quite justified in this purchase as even though they techinically came under my 'exemption' rules, the fact that I was able to get them from a charity shop, so in a sense 'second hand' or thrifted, and for only 49 pence for 12 pencils well it would have been silly not to. So that is one need well catered for under my Ultimate Challenge I believe.


My other purchase is perhaps slightly more difficult to justify, but I think I can for several reasons - let me know whether you agree.


This book looks brand new, and was from the same charity shop for £2.99. I felt that undertaking the ultimate challenge this book will offer me invaluable assistance IF I make full use of it and I do intend on doing so.



A quick browse through the book shows lots of helpful hints - and wonderful illustrations. It has a lovely section on flowers and herbs which I am looking forward to reading. I have always grown herbs, but that is about it, just grow them! I never seem to use them, so I am hoping this book will give me some good ideas that I can put into practice.

It is Peanut's 13th Birthday today - so now I have two teenagers in the house - goodness me, HOW will I cope? So it was a very early morning start with him coming in to unwrap his presents. I even made him a homemade card, which he was delighted with! He also loved his cushion, although I noted it has been left in our room...hmmm...

I have been frantically crocheting this afternoon and evening, taking a break to write this blog. Now need to continue as I am determined to get it finished today as I said I would finish it for his birthday. I have two more rounds to do and the edging... I've got till midnight I guess! LOL
So ta ta for now.






6 comments:

  1. Has that crochet hook cooled down yet?? Hope you got it finished x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday! Sorry mom you have 2 teens! It isn't really that bad and only takes about 10 years to grow out of!hehe Your finds are really great! Enjoy! Happy crocheting!
    Hugs, Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yes, we are heading towards the '2 teens' stage with a vengance ourselves! (nearly eleven and twelve and a bit...)

    I think your purchaces are quite justified - I have a similar situation in that Son 1 needs an electric guitar tuner for his lessons, and all the ones I have found in the Troc shops are clearly bought in new. Where could I find a second hand one by next Saturday? However, it's for him, not me, so I think the Troc Shop one may have to do...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you had a lovely day...did you get the blanket finished in time? Maybe it's the weather but teenagers seem to be sprouting up all over the place at the moment!
    Have a great week, x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, you did SO right in getting that book. Someone owned it and gave it in so it is second hand and full of tips for your challenge. So well justified. As for the gorgeous pencils...quite beautiful. WEll done. Delight in the little things!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think anything secondhand is fine - it doesn't really need justification! And they are both useful, not merely decorative - I just wish I had been with you, I might have beaten you to it! Books and stationery are definitely weak spots (oh, and yarn and fabric ...).

    Pomona x

    ReplyDelete