Friday, 24 April 2009

Show & Tell Friday

Show and Tell


This is my second 'Show and Tell Friday'. For more Show and Tell, visit Kelli at There's No Place Like Home.

Among other things I am an arctophile - which means teddy bear collector. The name comes from the Greek words arctos (bear) and philos (lover). I have always loved teddy bears, and I think it stems from when we first emigrated to NZ from England when I was six years old. I had to leave all but one teddy bear behind. Over the years my collection has grown. Here are a selection.


Mozart is my newest bear and was bought for me three years ago.
He is my one and only limited edition bears and has his own special glass cabinet to sit in.



This fellow below is my Scottish bear and I was given him, again by my husband for our Wedding in Scotland in December 1997.


Mussel was 'adopted' by me at the Hatfield Craft Fair on May 9th 2002.


This rather old bear was my grandmothers.



Snowy was again bought for me by my husband in 1995 from Harrods.



Peter Panda I've had since I was a baby. Poor thing desparately needs some new clothes as he has been very well loved and was cuddled everynight until I was in my twenties LOL



Ping is another Panda (I especially love Pandas) again given to me by my husband in 1995.


This little bear is fully jointed and was found in our local charity shop a few years ago now. I couldn't leave him there now could I?

I hope you have enjoyed looking at some of my bears.
It is a beautiful day here again in Sunny Hertfordshire and I have to go to work - stuck in a 'utility room' in the middle of a building - that's right - no windows... can you tell I am NOT impressed. It is too lovely to be stuck inside today. Oh well needs must.

9 comments:

  1. oooh. I love teddy bears too, but I don't have a collection except those left here by my children when they flew the coop. I have a group of friends who celebrate our birthdays together. Instead of giving presents wepass around a bear, but it hs to be dressed differently each time.We call it Birthday Bear. I have a few posts on him/her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a few panda bears too, I will have to photograph them sometime for this show n tell day. But yours? WoW!!!! I especially like the panda of your grandmothers....that one is truly a keepsake.

    My Show and Tell is Posted. Come on over to visit if you can find time today. Happy Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am going to show these to my daughter when she gets usp this morning. She too LOVES bears and she loves music too so she will especially like the one with the sheet music.

    ReplyDelete
  4. very sweet teddy bears and my sister is an arctophile as well. She has many teddy bears. I have my old teddy bear that I had when i was 2 years old. It played music at one time but does not anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, that is the first time I heard us called by a name. I am a Bear collector also. I used to have many more but have donated some of the least expensive and least loved to charity. The ones remaining have special stories like yours.
    Thank you for sharing your collection.
    Mama Bear

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love bears too. In fact that is what I posted on my show and tell today. All your bears looked very special. I loved the Panda from your childhood. Although he is a little tattered and worn he looks very much loved.

    Iris

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your bears are amazing. So many different ones. I have to say I prefer those which are 'much loved' to those which are 'for show' but you obviously love them very much.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love those bears!

    New to your blog and this meme!

    http://mathewsmemorylane.blogspot.com/2009/02/valentine-continues.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great bears...I think Scottish Bear is my favorite!

    Blessings,
    Susie

    ReplyDelete